Before the "call," that we received a year ago today, our talk was "when we have kids...." We lived our life from day to day, nothing special. We were blessed in many, many ways, I'm not denying that. We had great jobs, family, friends, etc. But we were just always looking ahead, always hoping that day would come when we could expand our family.
Have you ever been in a situation where you just feel like something is missing? I think Zeb and I would both agree (I hope!) that we were happy being married to each other. We enjoyed our life, with our little puppy, but we just knew. We knew that there was something missing.
We prayed every day for our baby, his birthmother and for us. We prayed that God would bring us the baby that was ours, when the time was perfect. Waiting was hard. It was so hard to have no control over when/if this was all going to happen. We even talked about waiting for 5 years and then essentially giving up. We didn't want to be in a vicious cycle of just waiting. I think at times, even though our wait was statistically short, we did get discouraged and want to take our name off the list, give up our dream and move on.
I still remember it like is was yesterday. Around 8:30 a.m. (Friday), our caseworker called me at work to tell me that we had been chosen. You can't even imagine (seriously, there's no way you can even imagine if you've never been through it before) that call. A million thoughts, hopes, dreams coming alive! Could it be?! No. Is this a dream?! What about this and that?! How sure is she? What should we do? The phone call was about 30 minutes, I would guess. I cried (of course), and tried to process everything, writing down as much as possible. A little boy. Due October 6.
That was the beginning. Happiness? Doesn't even BEGIN to describe our life. Blessed? Beyond anything we expected or deserve. For all of you who have children, you know what I'm talking about. Why didn't anyone tell me how great it was?!? Seriously, we feel like our destiny in this world (other than our MAIN destiny of serving Christ) was to be Logan's parents. THE most important job we've been given. The BEST job.
Now, we no longer live each day just looking to the future, waiting. We LIVE each day. We soak it up. It goes by so fast(you all know that), but we have so many memories. Our lives our so happy. We are so happy that Logan is our son. We feel so, so, so blessed that WE get to be his parents. God answered our prayers.
Logan, we love you so much. Just in case you were wondering. We do. We love being your mommy and daddy and we look so forward to every single day with you.
HAPPY CALL DAY!
3 comments:
There is no way anyone can tell another person the joy there is with a baby..You can tell for three days and nights and nights and the person you are talking to cannot know the joy until it happens to them. And that joy is the same with every baby that comes along.. The same with grandkids and greatgrand kids.. I cant explain the feelings about grands.. like I could not explain the joy with each child you have. Once you have one then you know what people have been telling you.
LOVE YOU GGramps Johnston
Wow Happy Call Day to you! I just found your blog through another infertility blog. Your post made me cry! I am so so so happy for you guys!
Amy, You constantly bring tears to my eyes! What a special day it was for you and I'm so happy that you shared your story with us. Give that boy a big hug from us. And Happy Call Day!!
Post a Comment