Sunday, December 19, 2010

I Love This

I love our life with a two year old. I love our life with one child. I love our life just exactly how it is right now. Don't get me wrong, we are very excited to add another baby to our mix, but we are very happy with the way things are at this very moment.
Tonight on the way to church, Logan said to Zeb, "Go faster, daddy!" Where does he learn things like this?

It's wonderful having a child at Christmastime (all the time, really, but especially right now!) because he notices everything. Christmas lights that I've spent the past 30-ish years just ignoring are suddenly the BEST THING EVER. That little guy has us all looking out the car window trying to spot the next house with lights.


Christmas carols are all new to him, too. Today, I realized that I don't really know all the words to "Over the River and Through the Woods" but Logan didn't care. He kept saying, "Sing it again!"




There are only a couple presents under the tree right now, but I've been very proud of how he keeps his distance from both the presents and the tree. When he wants us to turn the lights on, he picks up the plug and says, "Here, Mommy."



Zeb and I celebrated our 6th anniversary yesterday and we went out to supper and did some shopping. Even though Logan was with his grandparents, we pretty much talked about him the whole time! We talked a lot about how the first four years of our marriage were okay, but since we've become parents, that's what has really drawn us closer together and also added so much to our marriage. Neither of us is offended by that or feels that the other doesn't love us. Logan made us a family, plain and simple.







This doesn't have anything to do with the above post, but I came across an anti-adoption blog this past week. The writer of the blog was forced to give up two of her children many years ago. This lady is so bitter (as I would be if someone forced me to give away my children against my wishes). I have no idea how painful her situation is, but she was inappropriately bashing all adoption. She said that mothers and fathers who adopt are not mothers and fathers at all...a child only has one father and one mother period. And her basic opinion is that all adoptions are awful. She was writing from her perspective as if it were the only one. In the posts that I read, she never considered that some birth mothers choose adoption out of love and what they believe is best for the child. I don't know why I kept reading...it was like a train wreck that I couldn't look away from. But it did leave me a little sad. It left me sad for her and sad that people out there are so very uneducated about adoption that they would believe that it is never a good thing. And for a moment, I was scared that someday Logan would have negative feelings about adoption. I love that little boy with ALL of my heart. I couldn't possibly love him more and his adoption is just part of his very special story. I pray that the lady who writes that blog will find peace one day and I pray (over and over and over) that Logan sees his adoption as the blessing that we see it as. I'm not trying to be overly dramatic but reading that blog was like reading something that was attacking the core of who I am. To read that the only way my child would only have unconditional love in our home would be from a dog (because adoptive parents could not possibly unconditionally love a child that was not biologically theirs, according to this writer) was just plain sad. I praise the Lord that He thinks so highly of adoption that we are adopted into His family and I can't think of a better example of a Father loving His children than our heavenly Father adopting us. Praise the Lord!




2 comments:

Matt and Abby said...

I agree with you about Christmas being so much more fun with kiddos. I completely agree. Moreso with Hannah of course, Liv doesn't really care yet:)
Also about that anti adoption blog. I would be like you and just keep reading even thought it's just plain evil and not from the Lord. Adoption is a wonderful part of Logan's life and this woman certainly needs prayers!

Debra said...

Hi Amy,
I'm now following Keeping Up With The Johnstons. Just finished reading "I Love This," and fell in love with that precious boy!
Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!
Hope you'll swing by and visit me too.
Debra
http://debrasblogpureandsimple.blogspot.com