Sunday, February 1, 2009

So Much to Talk About

I have some bad news....Logan was trampled by a teddy bear. We weren't there to see it, but the bear left his foot print right on Logan's rear-end.....




We had a good day. Logan continues to enjoy his cereal and I think very quickly, his formula is not going to satisfy him anymore. He didn't sleep very much at all today and when nap time came (because the Johnstons ALWAYS take a Sunday-afternoon nap), Logan had so much to talk about. I would say this struggle went on for a good hour. Now, I know what you're thinking...I should have just put him in his crib and let him babble himself to sleep, right? But seriously, it is so adorable, I wanted to soak up EVERY minute.

Today, I received a special blessing. There was a visiting couple with a newborn baby at our church. At the end of the service, I found out that this couple is from Delaware and they are in Indiana picking up their new little boy! He was born 9 days ago. I talked briefly with them after the service this morning and was absolutely giddy all afternoon just thinking of how blessed they are! This evening, I got to talk to them a little bit more, and they have a wonderful story. It is absolutely amazing to me to see how God works not only in our lives but in the lives of His people everywhere. We exchanged e-mail addresses and I truly hope that we can stay in contact. I don't know very many families who have adopted, so I immediately felt a bond with them. What a wonderful, wonderful blessing adoption is!

Another big thing that has been going on is our letter to Logan's birthmother. She has expressed her desire to receive occassional updates and pictures. A lot of people don't understand why we would want to do this. Afterall, we don't legally have to. Quite honestly, I don't expect most people to understand this. If you're interested, I would happily share with you what a special woman we feel she is and how we truly love her from the bottom of our hearts. Does that mean I want to meet her right now....well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We honor her for who she is. We pray for her and we could never, ever thank her enough for what she has done for us. What I don't want to happen is for Logan to meet her when he is 21 and for her to say, "All I ever wanted was to receive yearly pictures of you, but your parents wouldn't do this." That would just be mean.

So, I carefully wrote a letter that would let her know how much Logan is loved and what a wonderful blessing he has been in our lives. We also included some pictures for her. Please pray with us that this will be a blessing for her and that it will not bring up too many negative emotions. We do not plan on having a relationship beyond yearly updates such as this. Again, no personal information is exchanged.

I mention this because I feel that it is important for people who are considering adoption to remember that birth families exist. It is not right to pretend they do not exist. Birth mothers experience an entirely different set of emotions than we have been experiencing. As much as we don't understand it, there is loss and grief. We just pray that hearing from us and learning how well Logan is doing will be a blessing to her.



Doesn't he look like a toddler in the above picture? Already growing up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It appears it was about a 3 lb teddy. I have put my detective powers to work and I think from the looks of it, it is right rear paw print, I will invistegate it more in the next two days and see if I can come up with anymore clues.
You need to put out a APP and maybe set up a trap to see if you can maybe catch this perp.

Anonymous said...

Amy and Zeb-
Logan is so cute. This is the first time I have logged on to see your new son. I am so happy for both of you and don't know more deserving people. I can not wait for you to be called mommy and daddy. It will be the sweetest words you have ever heard. Again, congratulations on such a wonderful family.

Wynj said...

I hope his birth mother never finds this site Amy, but I doubt she ever would...
You are a wonderful person to want to give her any information at all, most adoptive parents keep things so secret, until their child is of an age to ask questions.Logan will always know he was special

Anonymous said...

I think if you check teddy bears feet, you will find the one that stepped on our greatgrandchild will heve brown and white strips on at least one foot