I'll be honest...I wouldn't say summer is one of my favorite seasons. I prefer spring. Or fall. Not winter. So, that would make summer number 3 out of 4. Until I became a mother. Now, I see summer through a 3 year old boy's eyes, and let me just say, it's pretty good.
The fact that it's been over 100 degrees several days hasn't fazed him. The fact that a terrible summer storm swept through last Friday and left us without power for almost 48 hours (and some people still don't have power!), was nothing but exciting for him. (He now walks around the house, turns out lights and says, "We don't have power.")I love how he's not afraid of the water, and I have to find balance between panicking with every splash and just letting him be a little boy. His head goes under sometimes and sometimes, he chokes on water. And he thinks that's cool.
If I said before that "one is my favorite age," or "two is my favorite age" or "I love this age," forget it. All of the ages before this have nothing on three. Three is the best. He is the perfect combination of sweet and ornery. He loves all things Spider Man and Buzz Lightyear (he makes everyone - including his teacher's at school - call him "Buzz Lightyear"). But he still stops several times a day to give me spontaneous hugs and kisses. Spontaneous hugs and kisses are the best.
The other night, he and I played in his little pool for quite a while. He was Buzz and I was Jessie. We rode our (pretend) horse Bullseye straight off a (pretend) waterfall and fell and splashed and laughed. It was the best.
So, here we are mid-summer, and I'm already mourning the passing of the summer when he was three. My favorite summer IN MY WHOLE LIFE to date.
Things of note:
*When Logan reaches for something, he says, "Arms extendo." (from Umi Zoomi)
*When he says a word that he shouldn't, we often ask him, "Who taught you that?" The other day, I said, "That's gorgeous!" And he said, "Mom, who taught you that?" And I said, "I just know that word." And he said, "Can I say it?" So cute.
*I have been teaching him the sounds of his letters. So far, we've been working on I and A. I love teaching him things. This was prompted by him asking me last week, "Mom, will you teach me to read?" I grabbed my 3x5 cards and started writing the letters and told Zeb, "I've been waiting my whole life for this!"
*We've talked to Logan a little bit about adoption, but he's really not interested at this point. The other day he referred to his "other mom," and I said, "Who is your other mom?" And he said, "My other mom, Zeb."
*He's been calling us by our first names a lot for some reason...and he calls me Aim.
No comments:
Post a Comment