Thursday, November 5, 2009

Adoption -- A Loving Option

November is National Adoption Awareness month...but you already knew that, right?!

When I think about adoption, my heart just feels so overwhelmed with emotions. I rarely think of the stress that was involved in the "wait" as we wondered 'HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO TAKE?' It's easy for me to speak all excitedly about adoption, since we are post-adoption at this point. As you know, we don't define Logan by his adoption, but we do believe it's a very special part of his story.

There's another adoption story that is very special. It's about a little baby named Moses whose family loved him very much. If Moses' family only thought about what they wanted, Moses would have been killed. Instead, Moses' family considered what was best for him, and that meant letting him go. Moses was adopted by a very important family and that family connection opened the door for Moses to serve God in MAJOR way. If you haven't checked it out lately, open your Bibles to the book of Exodus and see all the wonderful ways that Moses was used by God...all of it possible because of Moses' adoption.

Have you ever thought of Moses' mother as a "birth mother"? Well, she was! So many times, it seems that birth mothers are looked down upon or criticized for their decision. Did that thought EVER cross your mind when you read the story of Moses' birth mother? I'm not sure that Moses ever reconnected with his birth mother, but I'm guessing if he ever did, he would have said, "THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING LIFE FOR ME."

As you think about adoption this month perhaps you should reconsider how you view birth mothers and the adoption process in general. I'm amazed at how very little people actually know about adoption. I understand that because until I started researching the subject, I guess I didn't know much either! Pop-culture either makes adoption look like a breeze (how DO all of these celebrities seem to get babies at the drop of a hat?) or like a nightmare (birth parents coming back to "reclaim" the child). A realistic picture of adoption is nothing like either of these scenerios.

Adoption is a loving option. It's an option that blesses a family who so desperately wants a child to bring joy into their home. It is also an option that allows a birth mother to give her baby a life that she cannot provide. She can rest knowing that the baby is entering into a loving home. And from the adoptive parents' side -- well, let's just say that we think adoption is AMAZING! So amazing, in fact, that we'd like to do it again! Please join us in praying for our next baby and our next birth mother. We don't know when it will happen, but we hope to have the paperwork completed by the end of the year. If you remember, we waited approximately 21 months for Logan.

No comments: