Thursday, September 10, 2009

Adoption Misconception

I try to leave out my opinions on this blog, but for adoptive parents and children everywhere, I had to comment on this:

Grey's Anatomy Star, Katherine Heigl, is adopting a baby....this is her statement....


"I'm done with the whole idea of having my own children," Heigl said. "[It] doesn't seem like any fun. I don't think it's necessary to go through all of that."


Oh geez, honey...if you don't believe that a child (who happens to be adopted) will be YOUR child, then maybe you should rethink the whole adoption thing altogether.

An adopted child is still your own child, just as those of you who know Logan know that he is 100% MY child. This is my public service announcement for the day. When referring to an adopted child, he/she is the OWN child of the parents. Period. It's offensive to us if you speak otherwise.

And the other part of the statement "...it doesn't seem like any fun." How completely insensitive to couples struggling with infertility. Isn't this the same person who made such a big deal because one of her co-stars said something offensive to another co-star? (She made a BIG deal about it a couple years ago, if you recall.) She needs to THINK before she speaks. But what's sad is that she's adopting a child who she is not even referring to as her "own." And there are a lot of families who would gladly adopt this little girl as their OWN.

Okay, I'm done with my rant. Have a lovely weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She, like 98% of the so called celeberties are a bunch of idiots. They live in there own little world and have no idea what goes on with real life. They have as much common sence as a Jackass.