Monday, July 27, 2009

The Big City


We are not city people. We live in the "city" of Fort Wayne, but we're basically country people at heart. Still, we do love the adventure (or hate it at times) of getting out and seeing a BIG city. We also want Logan to decide, for himself, if he will be a big city boy or a country boy. So, we'll occassionally expose him to both...the city and the country....



We left on Friday morning for Chicago, driving Zeb's Envoy, and that's because my car wouldn't start as I tried to leave work on Thursday. We had to have it towed and it was repaired over the weekend while we were away. It could have been worse, but it certainly wasn't how we wanted to begin our weekend.



The trip to Chicago was pretty uneventful except for the awful traffic and the accident we witnessed. We made a quick stop so that daddy could introduce Logan, officially, to the exciting world of all things Notre Dame. Logan got a nice stuffed football that he played with most of the weekend.





On Friday night, we were able to have supper with our dear friends who are going to be married in October. We got to see a real-life Chicago home! In my mind, I just pictured tiny rooms and a tiny house with a tiny yard, but theirs is not tiny. It was so nice to have a quick visit with them. We went to a local barbeque place, and it was wonderful!






On Saturday, Logan enjoyed, yes I said ENJOYED, a swim. I didn't take any pictures because I just wanted to focus on getting the little guy in the pool and enjoy the water, and we did just that. I would have to say that was the best part of the weekend.

On Saturday evening, we walked to Navy Pier where it was shoulder-to-shoulder people, so we quickly turned around and walked back to the hotel. We ordered take-out and stayed in the rest of the evening.

We left early on Sunday and headed home with every intention of getting home early since Zeb was sick all last week and I was sick over the weekend while we were in Chicago. On the way home, we saw a sign for Amish Acres and spontaneously decided to stop (we are NOT spontaneous, so we were just entertained by the fact that we were doing something like this!). I am so glad we did. It was slow-paced and there weren't many people there at all. Turned out to be a great decision. We enjoyed lunch at the Amish restaurant and headed home.







Oh, I forgot to mention....when we stopped to get gas right before we went to Amish Acres, the owner of the gas station came running out yelling that Zeb didn't pay. We did, in fact, pay and we had our receipt. However, he insisted that Zeb get out of the car and come inside. As soon as they got inside, the owner realized that he had made a mistake, but it was very scary for a minute!!

And this picture, taken by my photographer husband is my favorite from the entire weekend...man, I love this little guy.

2 comments:

icejan said...

You were in Nappanee and didn't call me??? I would have stop by AA to meet Logan. Sounds like you had fun even if mom and dad were under the weather.

icejan said...

You were in Nappanee??? I need to get you my cell # so the next time you can call and I can meet Logan. Sounds like you had a great time and I hope mom and dad are feeling better!