Thursday, July 28, 2011

Date at Dunkin' Donuts

A couple weeks ago, I started to think about what a toll VBS was going to take on us...being gone every night for a whole week. I decided that I would take some time off work. I'm so glad that I scheduled to take 1/2 of today off and all day tomorrow. This morning was rough. Logan was tired and he did NOT want to go to school. Even when I told him that I was picking him up early, he still had a break-down this morning. Not a good way to start our day. So, all morning long, he was all I could think about. I was so excited to pick him up early -- after lunch, before his nap. I was only away from him for about 5 hours, but it felt like it had been 5 months. On my way to pick him up, I was surprised that I had actual butterflies in my stomach from the excitement of seeing him. And at my age, not too many things give me butterflies. But I was THAT excited. I picked him up and we headed to Dunkin' Donuts. When I picked him up at school, they were playing in the gym. All of the little kids surrounded me as Logan and I were hugging and saying our hellos...Logan sternly said to one of them, "I'm going home!" He was so excited when we got to the donut shop and I told him that we would be eating inside. I let him pick his own donut...a daunting task considering all the different varieties they have in there!

And usually, I would pour his milk into a sippy cup with a lid, but today was special. Today, he got to drink it straight from the bottle, and you know what? He did fine.





Of course, he had to eat the best part...the frosting and sprinkles...first. I want to remember how he ate a donut when he was two.



Furthermore, he was excited that I let him sit on the high chairs. What can I say? This trip was all about him.


When his donut looked like this, he said, "Another one!" I didn't get him another one because we were on our way home and the excitement of going home was more appealing to him than another donut. If he had asked again, I probably would have gotten him one. It was just that kind of day.








We came home and he took a 3 1/2 hour nap (and I had to wake him up from that!). I know that he's probably already forgotten about our trip to Dunkin' Donuts, but I don't think I will ever forget. I often get upset because I have to work and be away from him so much, but I am telling you, days like today are that much more special. I can't wait to spend all day with him tomorrow!!!










1 comment:

Matt and Abby said...

I hope you had a fun day with Logan! Your DD date looked so fun, something I should do more of with the girls....
He looks so grown up with his hair cut!