I met a little boy last night. It was a little boy who looked familiar, but I did not recognize him because he seemed so grown up. As we traveled home from church, in the place where a grumpy, whiny, tired little boy usually sits (crying for his paci), there was a pleasant little boy who was DEFINITELY more boy than baby. The flow among all in the car was more of a conversation than an exchange of words and/or phrases.
And just when I thought I couldn't love our little boy anymore, I see a glimpse of this new phase that he's entering (which I'm convinced is due to the structure he's receiving at his new school!), and I see that things are just getting better and better.
We are completely pacifier free...and he hasn't asked for it in several days. This is a BIG deal for me because I stressed about this for months. Logan has also been wearing big boy underwear during the day and going potty on the toilet once in a while. He still has accidents, but he's getting there. His teacher suggests that it will probably take 3 - 6 months before he's completely trained, but you know what...that sounds great to me!
Honestly, parenting is so interesting to me. Because I KNOW that I loved Logan so, so, so much when he was a baby...when he was six months, when he was a year. But I love him so, so, so much more right now. And it's not just because he's "easier" at this age, because believe me, he's not always as adorable as he was last night (fast forward to grumpy, crying-for-a-cookie-at 7:00-in-the-morning-Logan). But it's because we have a history. We have a relationship. I know how much he's grown and overcome...seriously, giving up your bottle at a year old, giving up your paci, going through 2 surgeries, going through physical therapy, learning to go to the bathroom in a whole other way than you are used to (think about that!), and all the other things that he has been through/accomplished in his short life...he is AMAZING!
And last night, as I was having an absolute horrible end to my horrible day, and tears streamed down my face from sheer frustration and exhaustion from life (not from motherhood), that little boy says, "Mommy...a'doin'?" And all is right in my heart.
We are completely pacifier free...and he hasn't asked for it in several days. This is a BIG deal for me because I stressed about this for months. Logan has also been wearing big boy underwear during the day and going potty on the toilet once in a while. He still has accidents, but he's getting there. His teacher suggests that it will probably take 3 - 6 months before he's completely trained, but you know what...that sounds great to me!
Honestly, parenting is so interesting to me. Because I KNOW that I loved Logan so, so, so much when he was a baby...when he was six months, when he was a year. But I love him so, so, so much more right now. And it's not just because he's "easier" at this age, because believe me, he's not always as adorable as he was last night (fast forward to grumpy, crying-for-a-cookie-at 7:00-in-the-morning-Logan). But it's because we have a history. We have a relationship. I know how much he's grown and overcome...seriously, giving up your bottle at a year old, giving up your paci, going through 2 surgeries, going through physical therapy, learning to go to the bathroom in a whole other way than you are used to (think about that!), and all the other things that he has been through/accomplished in his short life...he is AMAZING!
And last night, as I was having an absolute horrible end to my horrible day, and tears streamed down my face from sheer frustration and exhaustion from life (not from motherhood), that little boy says, "Mommy...a'doin'?" And all is right in my heart.
1 comment:
Your last paragraph made me well up. What a sweet, kind little boy.
Post a Comment