Monday, January 3, 2011

New Daycare and Back to Work

You would think that being off for 5 days would have allowed me time to get my house in order, get things done, and get ready to start one of the busiest times of the work year. WRONG. We were all sick pretty much the whole time. But even if we weren't sick, I'm not sure I could EVER keep up with all that is required to keep a house running. I often ask myself how it is we even make it from one day to the next. It's a wonder, that's for sure. Does anyone have any tips for me? I constantly feel like I'm drowning!!! Here's the pile of laundry that was waiting for me last night. Logan had to take a blanket and pillow to daycare for his naptime, and he loved his new blanket.
















So, today was the big day. There was so much to remember to take...pillow, blanket, extra clothes (because he started actual potty training today!!!), diapers, wipes, shot records, payments, oh my....Logan has been so fussy the past week or so, since he's been sick, but especially since we have taken away his pacifier. Last night was awful. He kept crying for me and insisted that I sleep right beside him with my arm around him. So, I'm not sure that giving up the paci at this time is actually the best thing...but we're hanging in there for now. If I had to guess, I would say that I got about 2 hours of sleep last night.
As soon as we got to the school, he was excited to go play with the other kids. As hard as it was for me to take him to a new place, it was nice that he is so adaptable. When we got ready to leave him there for the day, I was nearly in tears (when I left, I cried almost the whole way to work), and I said, "Give mommy a hug," and he said (without even looking at me) "I PLAY KITCHEN!" and that was it...I was out the door.
His teacher said that he asked about me a lot. He also gave her several hugs, which I thought was adorable. He is so loving. He did well at nap time, but didn't eat much lunch. Of course, when I went to pick him up, it was snack time (I had to pick him up early today to take him to the doctor), he was devouring his chocolate donuts.















See that kitchen in the background? That's the one that keeps my little boy from hugging me goodbye. I don't think it looks like that much fun, do you?!



As soon as I walked in, the teacher said, "Well, he has some war wounds from the day." I guess a little girl attacked him -- twice! -- and scratched his face! The teacher felt so bad and my only response was, "It would have been worse if you told me that Logan had done that to someone else!" I certainly don't want him to get beat-up at school, but I definitely don't want him to be doing the beating either! We must pray that Logan can get along peacefully with the other children :)




Since Logan has been so whiney and fussy, I wanted to take him to have his ears checked, just to be sure everything looked okay. I was certain that he had ear infections. Well, he doesn't. He has some drainage in his ears from his cold, but no infections. Here he is in the waiting room for the doctor...




When you say to Logan, "you are cute!" He'll say, "No, I'm Logan!" I remember that my mom once called my nephew Dylan, "Sugar," and Dylan said, "Me not Sugar! Me Dylan!" I think it's funny that Logan has viritually the same response. It must be this age that kids become self-aware and want to be identified properly. However, when someone asks him his name, he looks at them like he has no idea what they said!
So, we made it through the first day of the new daycare, and I'm happy about it. I did not cry because I was worried for him, we wouldn't have left him there if weren't 100% secure. However, I just think "What if he doesn't want to lay down at naptime? What if he doesn't like what they are eating? What if he disobeys? Etc., etc." I guess that's it's a growing experience for all of us. I'm praying that I don't cry tomorrow.







1 comment:

Amber Rose said...

Carter once got "beat up" at daycare too. I got a note on his folder that said, "Dear Mr. and Mrs. Vonderau, While on a wagon ride another child punched Carter in the face."
I had to laugh, as I was sure it was the first of many notes like that. It went in his baby book!