Saturday, September 17, 2011

Weekend Sweetness

Today = One of my favorite days of the entire year...Johnny Appleseed Festival. LOVE IT.

Logan woke up this morning and saw his backpack and said, "I go to school today?" "Nope!" I love when our mornings start like that.

Let me apologize for the over abundance of pictures, but I couldn't help myself. He had so much fun today and I wanted to capture it all. I'll admit that the first couple years of his life, while he's always been a joy, it was a little more difficult to attempt over-crowded places. But these days, going places with Logan is more like "going places with Logan" than "taking him along" if that makes any sense. I love to be with him. He makes even my favorite things more fun.
This boy LOVES sticks. He has a stick in his hand in the above picture because any time he can find a stick, he wants to be carrying it.



Of course at an apple festival, there was a ton of apples. YUM.







Even cookies shaped like apples:





(...Which he dropped on the ground. So we dusted it off and he enjoyed it all the same.)








I tried to explain some of the games to Logan which heightened his anticipation. Let me tell you, the games did not disappoint. I mean, who doesn't love to dig your hands in a huge basket of corn kernels to find a block that will win you a fantastic prize?






When trying to describe the games that he'd be playing, I said, "There's a maze..." to which he replied, "What's a maze do?" I explained to him that it was kind of like a tunnel. He said, "Is it a nice tunnel? Is there water?" He ended up loving the maze. When they asked me if I wanted to go in with him, I replied, "No" which broke my heart a little because I have an almost-three-year-old who can find his way through a maze. Even if that means climbing up the stacks of hay and jumping over them. I also saw him tearing some of the bales of hay apart. It was difficult to get him to leave the maze. He loved it.


















All of that was fun, but my favorite part of the day was the corn. I bought an ear of corn for us to share. What was I thinking? As soon as I gave it to him, it was ALL his.






Oh my sweet little boy. Who thinks everything is a sword.....











These snapshots will go in the books as some of my favorite of this guy.





In the next one, do you see the corn and the pepper all over his face and the juice dripping down his chin? Yes, he loved the corn.










Being from Indiana, corn is serious business. There's a saying that "There's more than corn in Indiana," but when you are at the Johnny Appleseed Festival eating delicious corn dipped in melted butter, you don't much care what else we have in Indiana.






And now, I'd like to share a poem that I wrote entitled "Ode to Corn." Just kidding. I didn't write a poem. But this corn deserves a poem written in its honor. Seriously.










You wouldn't believe the disappointment once the corn was gone. So, we had to distract him by letting him jump off of the bales of hay.






It was interesting that when I first told him to jump, he was scared. But once he started, he didn't want to stop.









Every time before he jumped, he would have to yell either, "I AM Buzz Lightyear" or "To infinity and beyond."









And one of my favorite reasons that hanging out with Logan is so much fun is because he enjoys little things, like stopping to smell the flowers. Seriously, we were walking by these mums and he said, "I need to smell the flowers." I could learn a thing or two about life from him.



Stop and smell some flowers yourself this weekend. Soak up the sweetness of last weekend of summer. Autumn is on its way. Now if you'll excuse me, there's an apple dumpling calling my name.

No comments: