Sunday, September 28, 2008

Adoption 101 -- part 2

It is important to us that family and friends realize that adoption is not a "second best" option for us. It is the plan that God has had for us all along, and we are thrilled! We know that people don't intentionally make comments that are negative about adoption and honestly, I've used a lot of negative language myself. I've done some research on the subject and found the following list on several sites, so I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws by posting this:


Positive Language -- Negative Language

Adoption triad -- Adoption triangle
Biological parent -- Natural / real parent
Birth father / mother -- Real / Natural father / mother
Birth parent -- Real parent
Make an adoption plan -- Give up
Interracial -- Mixed race
My child -- Adopted child
Parent -- Adoptive parent
Search -- Track down parents
To parent -- To keep

It is important to us that our child knows that he was not "given up," but an adoption plan was made for him. In any case, it is a brave decision for a birth mother to choose adoption over the many other options. We will always love and be grateful to the woman who is carrying our child right now and praise God that she chose to make an adoption plan for her baby. We pray for her daily and probably will for the rest of our lives.
Logan will be our REAL son. We will have a child of our OWN. He will be our own and we can't wait to tell him how much we love him and how long we've been waiting for him. For most people in our lives, this is their first (as well as our first) experience with adoption. I would not have known any of the information that I am learning if I wasn't going through it, so I happily pass along what I am learning. I hope it helps!

No comments: