Thursday, September 15, 2016

And.....we're off!!!!

Monday evening, I came home from work and decided to take a nap.  I decided that since I would soon be lacking sleep, I was going to get as much as possible until then. 

I slept whil everyone else in the house ate supper. 

After my nap, I got up and ate. I had finished eatin and was upstairs.  Logan and Zeb were playing outside with the neighbors.  My phone rang.  I could see it was our caseworker, but I figured that she was just calling to give me an update on the meeting with the birth mother. 

When I answered the phone she said "It's baby time!!!"  I was shocked!!! 

I put her on speaker phone, ran downstairs and outside and yelled to Zeb and Logan "THE BABY IS BEING BORN!! We have to go!!!!"

The time was about 7:30.

Zeb started looking for flights and it wasn't long until we realized we probably wouldn't get a flight until morning. 

We called our immediate family and finished packing our last minute things.  

Zeb's parents came over and got Charlie.  Around 1:30 in the morning, we left to head to Indianapolis. 

On our way there, we received a text from our caseworker that the baby was born!!

(On our way!!)

Wyatt James Johnston.  10:33 pm (local time).  September 12, 2016.  6 lbs 9 oz.  20 inches long. 

We kept staring at the picture she had sent us. 

Flight left at 6:20.  We had a layover in Denver. We arrived in Arizona around 9 am local time (noon Indiana time).

(Layover in Denver!!) 

We got our luggage and a rental car (which seemed to take FOREVER).  And we were on our way to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital and got out all excited.  Our caseworker told us that he had been moved to another hospital, a bigger one where they could care for his withdrawal better. 

So, we drove another 20-30 minutes to the next hospital.  

We had to wait a little bit.  And then, Logan couldn't go back there to the NICU, so I went back by myself while Zeb and Logan waited.  

I walked in and found one of the two most precious babies every to be born (Logan is the other, of course!!!).

My son.  I cried.  I marveled at how perfect he is.  

My mind raced with thoughts of addiction.  He was fairly calm and still...not at all what I expected. 

As the day went on, he just became more and more beautiful (how is that even possible?!). And we discovered that he has black hair. And hair on his arms and back! 

We are completely over-the-moon and I have so much to tell, but for now, I need to go feed him!! 




No comments: