Friday, August 14, 2015

Back to School Night

I have to write all of this down tonight because I am still laughing and I do not ever want to forget this evening.  Logan had orientation tonight at school.  The entire group meets in the gym for general rules and the all of the students go to their new classrooms.  

Logan was over the moon excited about his new classroom.  First grade.  He will go all day.  He gets to take his lunch (or, he thinks he's going to buy his lunch everyday!). We got into his classroom and he was beside himself.  He sat proudly at his DESK - not a table like kindergarten.  Logan loved looking through all of the things in his desk.  The teacher provided his school box and all of the materials he will need. (How cool is that?!). He raised his hand, sitting up as straight as he could.  When called upon, he asked the teacher if he could start working ahead on his papers.  And then I died.  You have to understand.  This child would not pick up a pencil this summer.  He would not read one word without a bribe.  He wanted nothing to do with books at all.  I could not stop laughing.  Because he was basically a perfect, studious child in that moment and it completely caught me off guard. 


Logan is brilliant.  I have no doubts about that.  But I've never been of the thought that he has to do everything perfect.  I'm more impressed with his "inventions" than I am with a perfectly written alphabet.  Don't get me wrong, I loved school, learning and everything about it.  I just don't want to put a ton of pressure on my kids to over- achieve.  We will study.  Oh, heavens,  we will try very hard to do well.  But a life well- lived does not have to include straight A's.  It might though.  With the enthusiastic Logan I met tonight, it just might. I will enjoy finding out. 

•Beaming with pride in front of his LOCKER!!! Only big kids get lockers!!!•

No comments: